And the train has arrived, Terminal Point: Sni's World!

Journalist! Voice of the voiceless. Advocate for the defenseless. And oh, how can I forget- Watchdog of the community. I'm sure you have heard this countless times and I, being the respectful person that I am, refuse to waste any of your precious time citing what they (my smart lecturers that is) have drilled into any aspiring journalist, including me, the core meaning of the word journalist. Looking at the word 'journalist' in its entity, general semanticists would blab on about its root word being journey and therefore journalists are mere authors of their journeys. Well, I fully agree with them. Not that I've been to places far and beyond, but the power of the word is that it can take you places far beyond the horizon of one's imagination. What is that adage saying again? Oh yes, "the pen is mightier than the sword". But I personally prefer the wise words of the not so wise Johannes Gutenberg: "give me 26 soldiers of lead and I shall conquer the world".

Yes. Conquer the world! Starting with Sni's World. That is afterall, the name of my blog. Call it a psychological thing or perhaps delusions of grandeur but I have always fantasised about my own world, a world where I can be myself without the sneers and stares from ignorant people who are obsessed with conforming to the rules of this depraved and perverted society we live in. My own world where I can write what I like. Did I just subconsciously quote Steve Biko verbatim? Well, the man is one of my literature idols and boy, did he write what he liked or what!

Well, if you have read thus far it means that you qualify as my target audience, which is those smart individuals who appreciate what this beautiful continent of ours has to offer, and I don't mean the gold and the young virgins. It is for you, sister, who is starting a tertiary career or you my brother, who has just graduated and realised the gravity of that old institutional lie of "a degree is a pathway to a better life". Yes, this blog is for you who are still lucky to be refered to as the under-30's, hopefully employed, socially responsible South Africans. Did I mention smart?

Comments